There is no magic pill or quick fix to getting your ideal body. Hard work through diet and exercise are what will yield the best results. Before we jump into the HIIT workout, let's cover some tips to live by.
1. Spot Reduction is Not Possible!
In order to lose fat off any part of your body, you need to include a combination of cardiovascular exercise and full body strength training. If your main concern is to drop fat around your center, consider including more full body combination exercises with lots of different planes of movement. For example, Dumbbell Wood Chops –not only are you hitting your legs through squatting, but you’re hitting your shoulders and abdominals.
2. Clean Eating is Priority!
80% of your weight loss success comes from what you put into your mouth. (I know, it’s a bummer). While most of this stuff is pretty obvious, it always helps to reiterate the basics. Here are some quick changes you can make to help get started on the right track.
- Increase your water intake to 8-10 glasses per day. Water is a detoxifier and will help rid your body of toxins which in turn will help reduce bloat around your belly. Plus, as you likely know, most of your snack cravings are a result of being slightly dehydrated. So... before you mindlessly go for the cookie jar, chug some H20.
- Get rid of processed foods. When you shop in the grocery store try to shop the outside U only. Avoid the aisles which contain all processed foods - not to mention overpriced.
- Make sure to include a variety of fibrous carbs (mainly green leafy vegetables and low glycemic fruits such as berries), and loads of fresh lean protein sources.
3. Cardio is King!
Try to get a few cardio sessions in per week where you are getting your heart rate up to the point where you are breathing heavy, but can still maintain a conversation.
4. HIIT It!
High Intensity Interval Training has been proven to be the most effective way to drop fat while maintaining muscle. Bonus – it only takes a maximum of 20 minutes to do!! The key to success with HIIT training is working hard. At the end of your 20 minutes you should feel like you can not do anymore. Give this HIIT circuit a try to help reduce belly fat and increase energy and performance!
The following program is to be performed 2-3 times per week. Complete 2 rounds of the circuit with 1 minute of rest between rounds. Remember to include a 5-8 minute warm up and some light stretching after.
Each exercises is performed for 45 seconds. Take a 15 second rest between exercises.
1. Shuffle to plank
Start in an athletic stance and shuffle to the right, drop down into a plank and quickly return.
2. & 3. Dumbbell Wood Chops Right/Left
Squat down and turn to the right lowering the dumbbell towards your right foot, keeping your arms straight move the dumbbell across the midline of your body while you stand up and pivot to the left bringing the dumbbell above your left shoulder.
4. TRX Plank to Pike or Plank to Pike on Floor
Place your feet into the foot cradles and bring yourself to a high plank position on your hands. Hold for a count of 4 and then bring your straight legs towards your chest and slowly return to your start position.
5. Burpee with Pushup & Jack-Knee-Tuck Combination
Drop down to a plank position and perform one pushup, then maintain plank and perform one jack and one knee tuck right then left, jump up to standing.
6. & 7. Side Elbow or Hand Plank with Bottom Knee Drive
Start on your right elbow in a side plank position, maintaining plank drive your bottom knee towards your chest without flexion at the spine. Repeat on left side.
8. TRX Overhead Squat or Overhead Squat with a Bar Above your Head
Place the back of your hands into the foot cradles and drive your arms overhead. Keeping your arms completely straight and maintaining pressure on the foot cradles, perform a squat. During the squat, try to not allow your body to bend forwards. Return to start position.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR: Michelle Felzman, TRX Master Instructor
With over 20 years of experience, Michelle has covered all avenues of fitness with a major focus on core training, instructor training and choreography work. She is a Bender Ball master trainer, TRX Master Instructor, and holds 10 years of experience in fitness programming. With experience in fitness competitions, television and exercise videos, Michelle is the total package!