You know exercise is good for you — but do you know how good? From lowering your risk of obesity to increasing your energy levels and boosting your mood, the merits of regular physical activity are hard to ignore. Read on as we list the top five reasons to make fitness a part of your life.
1. Improve your mood. Need to blow off some steam after a stressful day? A brisk 30-minute run or a workout on the TRX Suspension Trainer can help you calm down. Physical activity stimulates various brain chemicals that may leave you feeling happier and more relaxed. You'll also look better and feel better when you exercise regularly, which can boost your confidence and improve your self esteem. Regular physical activity can even help prevent depression.
2. Combat chronic diseases. Worried about heart disease? Want to prevent osteoporosis? Physical activity might be the ticket. Regular physical activity can help you prevent (or manage) high blood pressure. Your cholesterol will benefit, too. Regular physical activity boosts "good" cholesterol while decreasing triglycerides. And there's more: regular physical activity can help you prevent type 2 diabetes, osteoporosis and certain types of cancer.
3. Manage your weight. Want to drop those excess pounds? Trade your couch time for TRX time. When you engage in physical activity, you burn calories. The more intense the exercise, the more calories you burn, and the easier it is to keep your weight under control. And while dedicated workouts are great, physical activity you accumulate throughout the day (stairs vs elevator, a brisk lunchtime walk) helps you burn calories, too.
4. Boost your energy level. Regular physical activity can leave you breathing easier. Physical activity delivers oxygen and nutrients to your tissues. In fact, regular physical activity helps your entire cardiovascular system work more efficiently. And when your heart and lungs work more efficiently, you'll have more energy to do the things you enjoy.
5. Get a good night's sleep. A good night's sleep can improve your concentration, productivity and mood, and what promotes a good night’s sleep? You guessed it: physical activity. Regular exercise can help you fall asleep faster and deepen your sleep. There's one caveat, however. If you exercise close to bedtime, you may be too energized to fall asleep, so try to exercise earlier in the day.
The benefits of fitness are yours for the taking, regardless of age, gender or physical ability, so in the words of Olivia Newton John, get physical! There are a million different ways you can incorporate fitness into your life. Check out a local climbing wall or hiking trail. Take a page out of the TRX Team playbook and join a local kickball or soccer league. Take your TRX to the local park or playground, and try some of the workout ideas here. The type of activity is irrelevant. All that matters is you’re moving!
We all have our own favorite benefits from being fit — what are yours? Tell us below!