As storms lay blankets of powder on ski resorts across the northern hemisphere, say adios to autumn and get ready to hit the slopes. But before you drift into daydreams of wowing the folks on the lift with your supreme mogul technique or your jibbing skills in the terrain park, take a moment to think about what kind of season you want to have. Do you want to be in dynamite condition, ready for another charge down the hill? Do you want to make it through the season with your knees intact? Then you’ve come to the right place. Whether you snowboard or ski, rock at a green or double diamond level, training on the TRX can help you reach your best this season. The goals of your winter sports TRX training will be two-fold:
- Train your body into the best condition possible for the specific demands of your sport.
- Prevent injuries before they happen by preparing your body for the inevitable impacts that come with sliding on snow.
Below is Part 1 of our two part TRX program for skiing and snowboarding that will have you shred-ready in 9-12 weeks.
- In weeks 1-3, focus on form and increasing mobility.
- In weeks 4-6, add speed, increase tempo of exercises.
- In weeks 7-9, emphasize power with explosive movements and increased resistance.
- Start with 30 seconds per exercise/side each three-week cycle.
- When 30 seconds per exercise becomes manageable, add 15 seconds.
- Progress with15 more seconds per exercise as needed.
Complete the following set of exercises as many times as you can in 20 minutes. Start with two days a week and build up to as many as four days per week over the course of nine weeks.
TRX Ski Conditioning Workout - Part 1
Exercise #1: TRX Body Saw (with Crunch) (see above video)
Exercise #2: TRX Pike
Exercise #3: TRX Side Plank (with Taps)
Exercise #4: TRX Overhead Back Extension
Get out there, do Part 1 of the workout and let us know what you think in the Forums. And stay tuned for TRX Ski Conditioning - Part 2.